Pages → Edit
The Pages Edit SubPanel provides the facility to manage all the Pages in a blog. Via this SubPanel, Pages can be edited, deleted, and viewed. Filtering, and searching, also makes it easy to quickly find Pages matching certain criteria.
Several powerful features allow Pages to be edited in bulk (en masse) allowing fields such as Author, Parent, Template, Comments Allowed, Status, and Pings Allowed, to be changed for a whole batch of Pages. In addition, a Quick Edit feature provides an easy method to change a mulitiude of values, such as Title, Slug, Date, and Author, for a given Page.
Table of Pages
A table lists all of your Pages, by row. The Pages are listed with the newest Page first.
The table of Pages contains the following columns:
- [ ] – This checkbox, when clicked (checked), 'selects' that particular Page to be processed by a Bulk Action.
- Title - This is the Page's Title displayed as a link. Click the Title link to allow this Page to be edited in the Pages Edit SubPanel. Next to the Title, if a Page is of a Draft, Pending, or Password Protected nature, text will display showing that.
- "ID" - This is not a column in the Table, but by hovering the mouse over the Page Title, the Page ID is revealed as part of the URL displayed in the browser status bar (in Firefox the status bar is displayed at the bottom of the screen). A Page's ID number is the unique number WordPress' database uses to identify individual Pages.
- Author - Displayed in the form of a link, this is the author who wrote the Page. Clicking the author link causes all the Pages authored by that user to be displayed in the Table of Pages (thus allowing a Bulk Action to be applied to all Pages for a given author).
- comment bubble - A comment bubble is the column heading, and each Page row has comment bubble with the number of comments for that Page. If a Pages has any comments, then the number comments is displayed in a blue bubble. Clicking on a blue comment bubble causes the Comments Edit Comments SubPanel to be displayed to allow moderation of those comments.
- Date - The Date column for each Page shows the Date 'Published' for Published Pages and the Date 'Last Modified' for other Pages.
The Screen Options allow you to choose which columns are displayed, or not displayed, in the underlying Table. Clicking on the Screen Options tab shows a list of the columns with a check-box next to each column. Check the box for each column you want displayed in the Table, or uncheck the box to not display that column. Click the Screen Options tab again to close the Screen Options.
Above the Table, to the right, is a search box where you can enter a word, or series of words, and click the "Search Pages" button to search and display all the Pages meeting your search words.
At the top of this SubPanel are links such as All, Published, Pending Review, Draft, Private, that when clicked, will cause just the Pages of that type to be displayed in the underlying Table.
Using Selection, Actions, and Apply
This SubPanel allows Bulk Actions to be performed on one or more Pages selected in the Table. For Bulk Actions to be performed on multiple Pages at once, those Pages must be first selected via one of these methods:
- Select one Page at a time - To select a Page, the checkbox to the left of the Page entry must be checked (clicked). It is possible to keep selecting more Pages by checking their respective checkbox.
- Select all Pages in given Table - All Pages in a given table can be selected by checking the checkbox in the Table's title, or footer bar. Of course, unchecking the header or footer title bar checkbox will cause all entries in that Table to be unchecked (NOT selected).
- Reverse Selection - A Reverse Selection means checked items become unchecked, and unchecked items become checked. A Reverse Selection is accomplished by holding the Shift key on the keyboard and clicking the header or footer title bar checkbox.
Actions describe the process to be performed on particular Pages. There are two styles of Actions that will be referred to as Bulk Actions and Immediate Actions. The following describes these Actions:
- Bulk Actions - These Actions can be performed on one, or more Pages, at one time, if those Pages have been previously selected. Bulk Actions are available, when appropriate, as choices in the Bulk Actions pulldown box, above the Table. The only Bulk Actions allowed are Edit and Delete.
- Immediate Actions - Immediate Actions are performed Immediately, on an individual Page. Hovering the mouse cursor over the Page row reveals the Edit, Delete, and View options under the Title column, in that Page's row. Clicking on a Page Name will also initiate the Edit Action.
The available Actions are described below:
- Edit - This Action can be either an "Immediate Action" or a "Bulk Action". The Immediate Action, initiated by click on the Title or clicking on the Edit option just below the Title, causes the Edit Pages screen to display. Edit is also available as a Bulk Action for the selected Pages, so see the Bulk Edit section for details on the Bulk Editing process.
- Quick Edit - Quick Edit is an "Immediate Action" that allows a quick in-line edit of certain fields related to a Page. See the Quick Edit section for details on this Action.
- Delete - This Action deletes the Pages. Delete is available both as a Bulk Action, and an Immediate Action.
- View - This Action presents the Page as it appears in a single Page view on your blog. View is available only as an Immediate Action.
The Bulk Edit Pages 'screen' is displayed below the Table Of Pages header once, one, or more, Pages have been selected, and the Bulk Action of Edit is Applied. Bulk Edit allows the fields Author, Parent, Template, Comments Allowed, Status, and Pings Allowed, to be changed for all the selected Pages.
- Cancel - Click Cancel to cancel and abort the Bulk Edit of these Pages.
- Update Pages - Click Update Page to save the Bulk Edits made to these Pages.
Quick Edit is an Immediate Action performed on one Page by clicking the Quick Edit link under the Page Title in the Table of Pages. Quick Edit is just an in-line edit that allows you to change the following items--Title, Slug, Date, Author, Password or Private page box, Parent, Order, Template, Allow Comments, Allow Pings, Status.
- Cancel - Click Cancel to cancel and abort the Edit of this Page.
- Update Page - Click Update Page to save the Edits made to this Page.
Editing Individual Pages
This mode is essentially the same as the Pages Add New SubPanel so see the Pages_Add_New_SubPanel for the specific details of writing a Page. The only difference is that the button to save your work is called "Update Page" instead of "Publish".
After one or more Pages are selected, and after a Bulk Action is specified, the Apply button performs the given Action on the selected Pages.
- Apply - Click the Apply button to execute the Bulk Action, specified in the Actions pulldown, on the selected Pages. Remember, prior to executing Actions, one or more Pages must be selected, as described before.