[gallery] shortcode is used in a Post or Page to display a thumbnail gallery of images attached to that post. It can be used in its simplest form like this:
There are several options that may be specified using this syntax:
[gallery option1="value1" option2="value2"]
You can also print a gallery directly in a template like so:
<?php echo do_shortcode('[gallery option1="value1"]'); ?>
This works too:
<?php $gallery_shortcode = '[gallery id="' . intval( $post->post_parent ) . '"]'; print apply_filters( 'the_content', $gallery_shortcode ); ?>
The following basic options are supported:
- specify the number of columns. The gallery will include a break tag at the end of each row, and calculate the column width as appropriate. The default value is 3. If columns is set to 0, no row breaks will be included. For example, to display a 4 column gallery:
- specify the post ID. The gallery will display images which are attached to that post. The default behaviour if no ID is specified is to display images attached to the current post. For example, to display images attached to post 123:
- specify the image size to use for the thumbnail display. Valid values include "thumbnail", "medium", "large" and "full". The default is "thumbnail". The size of the images for "thumbnail", "medium" and "large" can be configured in WordPress admin panel under Settings > Media. For example, to display a gallery of medium sized images:
Some advanced options are available:
- specify the sort order used to display thumbnails. The default is "menu_order ASC, ID ASC". "RAND" (random) is also supported.
- the name of the XHTML tag used to enclose each item in the gallery. The default is "dl".
- the name of the XHTML tag used to enclose each thumbnail icon in the gallery. The default is "dt".
- the name of the XHTML tag used to enclose each caption. The default is "dd". For example, to change the gallery markup to use div, span and p tags:
- you can set it to "file" so each image will link to the image file. The default value links to the attachment's permalink.
- comma separated attachment IDs, [gallery include="23,39,45"] will show only the images from these attachments.
- comma separated attachment IDs, [gallery exclude="21,32,43"] excludes the images from these attachments. Please note that include and exclude cannot be used together.
[gallery itemtag="div" icontag="span" captiontag="p" link="file"]